I replaced the white choc-chips for dark, as that was all we had, but they’re just as delicious either way.
250g plain flour
50g fine cornmeal/polenta (not instant)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g caster sugar
150g white chocolate chips
90ml vegetable or groundnut oil
1 large organic egg
200ml full-fat milK
1 orange, zest and juice
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6. Line a muffin tin with papers.
- Measure the flour, cornmeal, raising agents and sugar into a bowl, and stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a measuring jug, mix together the vegetable oil, egg, milk and zest and juice of the orange.
- Pour the mixed liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon. A lumpy batter makes for a lighter muffin; in other words, do not overwork.
- Divide among the paper cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked, when a cake tester should come out dry.
- Let stand on a wire rack for 5 minutes, before removing the muffins, in their papers, and eat warm.